Thursday 2 August 2012

One Button One Dee War

One Dee War started via a challenge to “Make a game in a month!” that is a regular occurrence at my work. Each month’s challenge has a theme, in this case “RTS (Real Time Strategy).” I entered the challenge a bit late – the weekend before the deadline, but I was able to throw together the first version of One Dee War.

While researching accessibility in games recently, I came across “one button games”, games that could be played with a single button input (that “button” could be the blink of an eye, the nod of head or simply blowing down a tube). These games have been designed for people with disabilities that prevent them from playing regular controller-based games.
I’d been toying with the idea of a one button game for a while, not necessarily from an accessibility angle, but simply inspired by the Judgement Ring from the PS2 game “Shadow Hearts”. So when I decided to have a go at the RTS Game In A Month challenge, I went with a one button approach. And One Dee War was the result!
A huge advantage of the one button approach is that it is perfectly suited to mobile gaming. The final version of One Dee War is likely to have a more complicated interface than Version 1, but starting from a point of absolute minimal complication seems like a great way to approach my first mobile game!
It also made for an interestingly catchy title - One Button One Dee War!

No comments:

Post a Comment